(meteorobs) Orionids from South Carolina: 10-22-2011

meteors at comcast.net meteors at comcast.net
Sun Oct 23 09:19:59 EDT 2011

The weather was perfect for observing the Orionids the morning of
October 22, 2011 from Sullivan's Island, South Carolina. Because of the
circumstances of the moon, I decided to begin observing shortly after
midnight. My daughter Hailey and I began our watch at 0404 UT, me
recording data while she simply did a casual watch.

Hailey saw 11 meteors during the two-hour session, calling all of them
Orionids despite my efforts at guiding her to trace the paths back to
the radiants. Based on the number of meteors we both saw, I would guess
her true Orionid count was around 5.

In the two-hours, I recorded only 8 Orionids, 4 each hour. I also
observed 1 EGE and no Taurids at all despite watching for them. Overall,
my impression of the Orionids is that it was a poor return, producing
less than what I am accustomed to. The low radiant altitude at the start
of our watch may have contributed to this. Below is a quick report of
data submitted to the IMO:

0405-0505UT; Teff=1.00; F=1.00; LM=5.55
EGE(1); ORI(4); NTA(0); STA(0); SPO(4)

0505-0605UT; Teff=1.00; F=1.00; LM=5.55