(meteorobs) Oct 22/23 2011 Orionid obs from N FLA - still going strong!

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 10:07:42 EDT 2011

Hi again all,
    I was back out this morning for another productive and rewarding two
hour Orionid meteor watch from the roof of my house here in St. Augustine.
The Orionids were almost as strong as they were on max morning, as I had a
total of 66 Orionids and 90 overall meteors between 4:15 and 6:15 a.m.
EDT. No fireballs once again, however.
     The high pressure dome we have had sitting over us the last few days
has really helped tremendously, as the crystal clear skies it has produced
allowed me to catch many of the faint, short and elusive Orionids.  With
weaker sky conditions my counts would have been much lower, I'm sure.
Still, I've been watching the Orionids on and off ever since 1976 and I have
never seen then as strong as they've been these past two mornings!  Here a
brief summary:

Oct 22/23, 2011 Location: 5 miles SW of St. Augustine, FL
L.M.  - 6.2, F -1.0 Facing south

0815 - 0915 UT (0415 - 0515 EDT)
29 Orionids
2 Taurids
 2 epsilon Geminids
9 sporadics
42 total meteors

0915 - 1015 UT (-515 - 0615 EDT)
37 Orionids
1 Taurid
2 epsilon Geminids
1 Leo Minorid
48 total meteors

Overall, the Orionids were a little brighter and longer pathed this morning
than they were yesterday.  The second hour was busy, but not quite as
eventful as yesterday's mini-burst.
During the second hour, I had the brightest Orionid of the watch, a -1
through Orion's belt and I also had a pair of perfectly simultaneous
Orionids!

More later, Paul