(meteorobs) More on video Orionids from Colorado

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Oct 26 00:07:55 EDT 2011

It's snowing tonight, so that's the end of data collection for this
shower. But every night before this has been perfect- dry, transparent,
cloudless. Of course, there was some minor interference from the Moon in
the days before the peak, but in my experience that degree of
interference has almost no impact on my video meteor rates.

So what I saw was a most unusual shower this year. Activity before the
predicted peak was a bit lower than most years, the peak night showed a
significant drop in activity, and then the meteor count rose the next
two nights, with a strong peak of activity on 24 October. That behavior
is not consistent with predictions, nor with the rather meager visual
observations plotted on the IMO Orionids page.

Anyway, I have no real explanation. My total counts seem high enough to
largely rule out a statistical effect. If anybody has any other ideas,
I'd be interested in hearing them.

My report, with the daily frequencies plotted, is at
http://www.cloudbait.com/science/orionid2011.html

Chris