(meteorobs) More on video Orionids from Colorado

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Oct 26 12:56:09 EDT 2011

Hi Marco-

That's something I've considered before, given that my cameras operate
in a rather different brightness range than visual observers. With
allsky coverage, my data is very good for meteors brighter than mag 2;
certainly much better than visual observers can typically provide. But
the vast majority of the data in the past has been visual, and for much
dimmer meteors. Obviously, the number of bright events is much lower,
and statistical noise starts becoming a problem- especially with visual
reports. Although radar data has started filling in some blanks, I'm
still generally skeptical of published r-values, and don't think that
much is known about how they vary with stream position, or whether they
really provide an accurate description of particle sizes over their full
range.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory