(meteorobs) More on video Orionids from Colorado

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 12:58:48 EDT 2011

Chris/Marco,
     I've just posted my 2011 Orionid observations to the IMO website (will
do so for Meteorobs soon).  Visually, my impressions were somewhat
different.  I had low activity on 20/21, the "spike" up to almost 50 on
21/22, followed by the next two mornings (22/23 & 23/24) having a "plateau"
type maximum, still high, but slightly lower then that peak on 21/22.
     I tend to agree with Marco, as I noticed that the r-value of the
meteors I saw during the "spike" on 21/22 were very faint and
short-pathed.   Many of them were no more that one degree long in path
length and most below magnitude 3, if even that.  I wonder if a video system
could have picked them up effectively.  After 21/22, however, the r-value
seemed to increase somewhat and the Orionids were noticably
longer-pathed,

V/r, Paul