(meteorobs) Meteor plasma / ionization question

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Oct 28 14:12:13 EDT 2011

Hi Tom-

Naturally occurring "cold" plasmas are still hot- the term usually just
means that only a small fraction of the gas is actually ionized (thus,
the bulk gas might be cold, even though the electron temperature is
still high). I'd be cautious using the terms "hot" and "cold" with
respect to plasmas unless you provide some qualifying information about
just what that means.

I don't think that the ion temperatures encountered in sprites are
different from those encountered in meteor trails. Either way, you have
thermally excited atoms.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory