(meteorobs) Meteor plasma / ionization question

James Beauchamp falcon99 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 28 17:23:56 EDT 2011

Tom,
In the case of sprites, similar to the low pressure lightning globes so popular in the 90's, the electric field magnitude is enough to pop electrons out of their orbits.  (or shells, depending on the kind of physicist you talk to)
When they fall back to their base electronic state, the energy is released in the form of visible photons.
Just my humble EM opinion, I suspect sprites are a product of the electric field dynamics and the lower pressure (lower pressure = lower breakdown potential).
For meteorites, the ions are due to the compression boundary as they hit the atmosphere.  The runaway thermal situation is high enough to produce plasma, which of course contains free electrons.
Just my thoughts on this one.