(meteorobs) Piggybacking TLE observations onto all-sky meteor network

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Sat Oct 29 10:47:34 EDT 2011

I am noting here that the all-sky meteor camera network can
simultaneously and effortlessly observe for transient luminous events as
well as meteors. I think many TLEs are currently being overlooked in our
data. Maybe at some point someone will realize the value of the
observations and set up some sort of TLE data collection network. It
would be easy to accomplish.

Here is an example of an unreported TLE ( red "carrot" sprite ) captured
by three cameras on the Sentinel fireball network in New Mexico and I am
aware of one other non-Sentinel camera capture which gives four separate
views of one sprite event in space with precise timing. This is very
useful scientific data.

http://skysentinel.nmsu.edu/allsky/index.php/viewer/78977
http://skysentinel.nmsu.edu/allsky/index.php/viewer/79004
Here is my camera view of this sprite with radio emissions:
http://www.heliotown.com/SPSep092011_040152mag_Ashcraft.mp4

A few years ago I used to dump all my lightning captures as they tend to
accumulate and take up hard drive space but I wish I had saved them as
the archive would be useful for data mining.

Also I am finding that observing and recording TLEs directly produces
many meteor captures so the two scientific practices are mutually symbiotic.

Clear skies,
Thomas Ashcraft in New Mexico
http://www.heliotown.com/Radio_Sprites_Ashcraft.html