(meteorobs) Florida Bright Green Meteor 5SEP2011

Sam Barricklow k5kj at mac.com
Mon Sep 5 20:50:20 EDT 2011

I suspect that some of the blue-green meteor reports may in part be
due to the influence of sodium street lights.  After a while, your
eyes may adjust to the amber color of the sodium lights, color
correcting the amber to white.  Then when a whitish meteor streaks
across the sky, it may assume a blue or blue-green apparent color as
a result.

I've noted a similar effect when viewing lightning flashes in the
city.  As a SKYWARN spotter, blue-green flashes during a thunderstorm
usually indicate arcing power lines or burning transformers and may
be the result of high winds or a tornado, triggering heightened
concern during severe weather. However, when influenced by the amber
color of sodium lights, white lightning often takes on a bluish or
blue-green color.

Of course, some meteors may actually produce blue or blue-green
light, but this might help explain the increasing number of such
reports.

Sam Barricklow