(meteorobs) UARS Satellite expected to reenter atmosphere in 3-5 days

Skywayinc at aol.com Skywayinc at aol.com
Mon Sep 19 10:56:30 EDT 2011

Set my alarm and got up early this morning to view a  predicted
near-overhead pass of the UARS satellite over my home in
Putnam Valley, NY.

The NW to SE pass came pretty much on schedule  between
5:47 and 5:50 a.m. (according to Heavens-Above).   As expected,
movement was quite rapid . . . it streaked across the  sky much
quicker than the ISS or the Space Shuttle.

During the three or so minutes I had it in view, the  satellite slowly
rose in brightness from about magnitude 3 to 0, then  suddenly
flared/flashed in brightness to about -2 or -3, then  quickly dropped
off to near-invisibility.  Then the whole sequence  began anew.  It
did this a total of three times before it vanished  behind the treetops
in my southeast.  The thing must be  tumbling.

There is another high pass scheduled for tomorrow  morning . . .
UARS will emerge from the Earth's shadow near its  highest point
in the sky of nearly 80-degrees at around 5:30 a.m.,  then a
relatively low evening pass is set for Saturday at  around 7:40 p.m.
(if it's still in orbit).

Unfortunately, a protracted spell of cloudy  weather is expected
to settle in tonight and last much of this week, so  perhaps this
morning was my last view. of UARS.

-- joe rao

In a message dated 9/19/2011 6:53:09 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,