(meteorobs) UARS Satellite expected to reenter atmosphere in 3-5 days

Wayne Hally meteoreye at comcast.net
Mon Sep 19 14:29:10 EDT 2011

Big difference between this morning and yesterday morning for me (in NW NJ). Yesterday, the brightness was changing very rapidly (several Hz), it was almost scintillating, and there were two bright flares, and 2 fadeouts. This morning it was much steadier with just one flare and one fade, otherwise the magnitude was steady… ~ +0.5.

As you said Joe, the forecast is not good, but I’ve already set the alarm for tomorrow morning just in case. Just remember to check Heavens-Above later this evening. Every orbit update has advanced the time as the satellite rapidly is falling. It lost 4 km for both perigee and apogee in 15 hours leading up to the latest 0449 UTC epoch. As of that time, orbit was 211 x 232 km (131 x 147 mi) with a period of 88.9 minutes.

Wayne