(meteorobs) Question on URAS - hearing it

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Fri Sep 23 12:18:12 EDT 2011

On 9/23/11 9:03 AM, Michael Boschat wrote:
> Hi:
>
>   I'm curious, using my radio meteor setup working on 67.25 MHz and monitoring
> between 0000-0400 UT if there was a possibility of "hearing" the satellite
> like a meteor?

Here are a couple of space shuttle re-entry audio recordings I made in
the mid-1990s. I was using FM radio stations as scatter transmitters
back then.
http://www.heliotown.com/Radio_Fireball_Observatory_SpaceShuttle_reentries.html

The space shuttle made a smooth ionization trail that dissipated quickly
behind it in the high winds. I would think that this upcoming sat
re-entry/break-up would be "messier" and make a broader ionization
field.  ( Just speculating. )

Thomas Ashcraft / New Mexico