(meteorobs) 800 km / 475 mile distant fireball terminal flash possibility

prospector at znet.com prospector at znet.com
Fri Sep 23 21:28:09 EDT 2011

I read the plot for the Stardust re-entry and there was a chance I could see
it between the mountains to my north on 8 Sept. 2004. I didn't go look and
was rewarded by news that someone in New Mexico saw it at about the same
distance as me. It was 540-550 miles from me and would have been about 3
degrees above the horizon. Try for it, I wish I had. Look up "Stardust
re-entry" for a map showing visibility to get an idea of what you may see
and how far.      Dave English
                          Oceanside, California