(meteorobs) Why so much uncertainty about re-entry?

Jim Pettit jimpettit at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 11:57:38 EDT 2011

Update:

1550 GMT (11:50 a.m. EDT)
The Joint Space Operations Center at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California
says UARS re-entered over the North Pacific Ocean, off the west coast of the
United States.
"The precise re-entry time and location of any debris impacts are still
being determined. NASA is not aware of any reports of injury or property
damage," the space agency said in a statement.

NASA plans a news briefing today at 2 p.m. EDT.