(meteorobs) LOOKING FOR UPDATE ON METEOR INCIDENT FROM BASKING RIDGE, NJ

drtanuki drtanuki at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 24 20:48:39 EDT 2011

Dear List,  A newspaper has contacted me for a followup story about the New Jersey Mystery Crater Event on Basking Ridge, NJ.  Several of you went there personally to have a look at the "crater".  If you wish to help please email me an email with you answers and I will forward your information to the writer; thank you in advance.

 Original Story with photos:
  http://patch.com/A-ht0r

1)  Is there any way this could be a prank?

2) Do you know if a seismograph measured from the nearby
 William Annin
 Middle School is a reliable source of data?

3) If it was a meteor, why were there no traces of a meteorite
 found or
 no iron traces which are normally found in meteors?
 Supposedly the
 meteor was supposed to be the size of a baseball.

 4)Is it possible the meteor ricocheted off the lawn or another rock and
 landed far away from the impact site?

 5) Are meteors and meteorite hits really uncommon?

6) Do you think this sounds like it could have really been a meteorite?

 Please email me offlist with your comments.  Thank you.  Dirk Ross....Tokyo