(meteorobs) UARS Sat re-entry

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at shaw.ca
Mon Sep 26 01:35:04 EDT 2011

I was out observing for the UARS on Friday night from the observatory at
Telus World of Science Edmonton (~ 53.5 °  N, 113.5 ° W). That is about 300
km north of Okotoks, AB; the entire province is in Mountain Daylight Time,
or UTC minus 6 hours. For us in Edmonton the scheduled passes were at 22:22
MDT at about 20 degrees altitude in the south, then 23:52 and 01:22 at
similar altitudes in the north (near the northern extent of UARS orbit, with
its 57 ° inclination). There were a good number of public and a half dozen
or more experienced astronomers present for the first pass, and three
veteran astronomers for the last two.

The key pass would seem to be the first one at 22:22 - NOT 21:15 but fully
an hour later. That time simply does not match up with the report from
"Madman".

We saw nothing* at any of the three times. We looked for several minutes
before and after the nominal pass times due to the unknown effects of the
decaying nature of the orbit, and if anything would have expected to see
something at lower altitudes than those projected.

(*Two of our group saw an unusual meteor low in the south about 10 minutes
ahead of the pass, but its direction was not consistent with satellite
debris.)

I heard of a report from Alan Dyer who lives near Okotoks that he too was
observing under good conditions and saw nothing. While I haven't
communicated with him directly, Alan is a friend of mine of long standing
and I know him to be an extremely experienced and conscientious observer. I
will take his observation over that of any "Madman" 10 days out of 10.

I can follow up with Alan Dyer if that would help. I also have connections
with hockey forums (though not that one) and could possibly track down
"Madman".

Bruce
*****