(meteorobs) Cloudbait camera project???

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Sep 30 20:21:20 EDT 2011

There is no conventional video camera more sensitive to meteors than the
PC164C. There are similar cameras, made by Mintron, Watec and others
that have essentially the same sensitivity. All these cameras use the
Sony HAD class sensors, with their amplifiers tuned for maximum gain. In
principle the 1/2" sensors should be slightly more sensitive than the
1/3" sensors, but in practice I have not been able to see any
difference. All the high sensitivity Sony sensor cameras I've tried
catch the same meteors.

I'm not familiar with the Moonglow camera, but looking at their site it
seems that this is an integrating video camera. That's great for stars
and aurora, but not a good choice for meteors. In that application, it
will have considerably lower sensitivity than a PC164C or similar, and
will not provide useful velocity or timing information.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com