(meteorobs) Lyrids from Colorado

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Apr 23 01:05:35 EDT 2012

All trains are essentially infinitely thin, since they are narrower than
the angular resolution of the camera (or of our eyes). So the apparent
thickness in the image is a consequence of diffraction and the
brightness of the meteor. In fact, I use the thickness (the size of the
head in any individual frame) to estimate the magnitude when the
brightness results in saturation (which happens at about mag -4).

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com