(meteorobs) Airburst statistics - most recent paper?

Roberto Gorelli md6648 at mclink.it
Mon Apr 23 07:56:37 EDT 2012

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 13:14:47 +0200
  Daniel Fischer <dfischer at astro.uni-bonn.de> wrote:
> Media interest in the U.S. westcoast fireball/airburst is still on
>the increase,
> even over here in Germany - which raises the question: how often do
>airbursts of
> this energy occur? At 3.8 kt TNT eq. (what are the error bars?) this
>one would
> have been 2 to 3 times as energetic as the terminal burst of 2008
>TC3 that -
> according to http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/news/2008tc3.html - had only a
>1-2 kt TNT
> equivalent. According to a diagram I obtained from Alan Harris in
>2008 - see
> http://www.oculum.de/newsletter/astro/000/60/5/65.df3gt.htm#3 (not
>sure where
> and when it was published in the technical literature) a 3-kt impact
>should
> happen roughly once per year: Is that the current thinking? A more
>detailled
> statistical study - esp. one dealing with the low-mass
>high-frequency part of
> the distribution - would be welcome (even more so when it were open
>access :-).
>
> Daniel

Sorry for bad English.

If I remember well it occur around 10 events of this size (1 kiloton)
each year. A megatonic event should occur over lands one each 300
years (one each century on all the Earth), the decakilotonic events
should be around one for decade.
Warning, I read this data many years ago then it's possible that there
are not corrects for knowing of today.
Best greetings.
Roberto Gorelli