(meteorobs) Lyrid thru Virginia clouds

Richard Taibi rjtaibi at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 23 09:48:10 EDT 2012

I travelled to Shenandoah National Park's Skyland region near Luray Virginia hoping to see Lyrids from darker skies.  The usual cloudiness at Lyrid time claimed the maximum unfortunately.  But fortune smiled upon me for the morning before the max.  I watched for Lyrids from 507 to 819 UT on April 21 under mostly to partly cloudy conditions.  What I saw was a paradox: the more clouds there were the more meteors I saw!  From 507-607 UT, I saw two (+3 and +4) sporadics with an F factor of 1.86: 50% cloud cover more often than not.  From 607-707 UT, with an F of 1.37 I saw a lonely Lyrid (+3) but no sporadic accompaniment.  From 719-819 UT with almost cloudless sky (F=1.04), I saw NO meteors. After 29 years of meteor chasing I am not going to complain about how the meteors show up; I just count'em when I see'em! Rich