(meteorobs) Fwd: large bolide over California/Nevada

Anthony DeBartolo debartolo at hydeparkmedia.com
Mon Apr 23 13:54:46 EDT 2012

saw nothing in chicago over the weekend —— but have a question for you experienced meteor watchers…

last mid- through late- october, i witnessed in the northeast sky along the western shore of lake michigan, just a few blocks north of the city of chicago, what i thought were the orionids - but there was no movement across the sky of the mainly red fireballs i saw - it was as if they came straight at my location & only appeared as round red points of light….as for size -- hold the eraser end of a pencil at arm’s length from your head, and the size of the eraser you’ll see is pretty much the size of what i saw…

also, some would morph from red to white before fading out….AND during an especially busy period, even saw a large blast & plumb of purple - this was witnessed only once.

transfixed by the nightly event occuring right outside my window, for some reason, didn’t even think of grabbing my video camera.

as it turned out, i happened to be in flagstaff later that month around halloween, & stopped in at lowell’s observatory for some info, ‘cause i knew zip about meteor showers.

they informed me the red i saw was hydrogen burning, and the purple was silver.

silver? how common is that?

many thanks…

ps -- have every intention of fully documenting the event if it repeats again here in october....any (simple) advice for achieving that photographic task would be greatly appreciated.

Anthony DeBartolo
hydeparkmedia.com
reporter/editor/publisher

lupusUVA1phototherapy.com