(meteorobs) Fwd: large bolide over California/Nevada

Richard Taibi rjtaibi at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 23 14:59:23 EDT 2012

Anthony- I don't frankly know what you saw, but the Orionids were an unlikely source of the phenomena as seen from Chicago.  The Orionids are best seen in the early morning hours and would appear in the east (midnight-ish) to south (near dawn).  Of course, meteors will fly into all portions of the sky but the Orionids are traceable (prolong their courses backwards) to the radiant (point of origin) in northeast Orion.  However, you would not see Orionid meteors coming directly at you from the northeast (in the northern hemisphere).   If what you saw were meteors, you saw 'point source' meteors, coming towards you, as you realized.  However, it is unlikely that a meteor shower would produce prolonged displays of point source meteors-especially night after night.  Could there have been a fireworks display along the lakeshore?  Perhaps some business or entertainment venue was doing an effective job of attracting attention.  If you see this again in 2012, post your observation on meteorobs again as soon as possible. As for photographic documentation, especially for digital recording, I defer to my knowlegdable meteorobs colleagues.  If you follow this list for long you will see contributors and may approach them for guidance. Richard Taibi  > From: debartolo at hydeparkmedia.com