(meteorobs) Standalone Forward Scatter RADAR Receiver

bob bob71741 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 9 13:06:28 EDT 2012

Jay - I am interested in your NAVSPASUR receiver.I have built several RF converters to get meteor foward scatter into my ham band communications receivers. The converters were easy to make as I used some junk box clock oscillators for the LO. These converters were used for SNOTEL (40.53MHz) and TV channel 4. When I decided to try NAVSPASUR my options were very few as my oscillator/crystal population did not make it easy to downcovert NAVSPASUR so I used a
RF converter from Hamtronics, the CC222. I also did not make an LNA as I did for my other reveivers as I was getting tired of soldering those tiny surface mount packages onto cutup copper clad board. DownEast Microwave had a nice kit(L222LNACK) w/pwb, connectors and housing for $45.
I am not sure if you are making a converter or a complete rx, but I do have one suggestion, if you can implement it for a complete rx; try to make it possible to receive the other NAVSPSUR stations at Gila River, Arizona (216.97 MHz) and Jordan Lake, Alabama (216.99MHz). The Gila River signal is too strong to be used in the Phoenix area where I live, but I am in the process of making measurements using the Gila River station up in the mountains 60-150 miles away; would also like to try it in San Diego. Still do not know if being 90° to the antenna beam is a problem up North.
I've added the links for the LNA and RF converter that I used if you need any ideas.
http://www.hamtronics.com/pdf/CC-%28vhf%29%20Converter.pdf
cc222
http://www.downeastmicrowave.com/PDF/l-lna.PDF
L222LNACK