(meteorobs) A brief pre-max look at the 2012 Perseids from N. Florida

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 10:24:13 EDT 2012

Greetings all,
     I got out this morning (Aug 9/10)  for a brief, mostly casual look at
the pre-peak activity from the 2012 Perseids from my driveway here is St.
Augustine.  I was out a total of 45 minutes from 0400 to 0445 local time
and could manage only 6 Perseids, 3 sporadics and 1 Aquariid during that
time.  The brightest Persied was a yellow +2 with a brief train.
Everything else was +3 or below.   Not much appeared to be happening yet.
Hopefully, they will pick up considerably!
     I blocked the 43% sunlit moon out behind trees and overall the skies
were excellent with a LM of around 5.0.  I don't think I would have missed
too many meteors and been able to blame the moon for it.  Now, my not so
young anymore eyes are another matter...;o).
   I plan to be out each of the next three mornings here for more serious
watches.  So far, we have had a very soggy August in north Florida, with
thunderstorms virtually every day.  No sign whatsoever of the drought here
that has plagued much of the rest of the U. S.  The clouds have been
clearing nicely after midinght though, so hopefully, that trend will
continue!

Good luck to all, Paul in St. Augustine, FL