(meteorobs) North Carolina Perseids

meteors at comcast.net meteors at comcast.net
Sun Aug 12 10:10:57 EDT 2012

I was in the Uwharrie National Forest area of central North Carolina
visiting family during the weekend and went out two mornings attempting
to view the Perseids.

On the morning of August 10/11 a two-hour watch starting at 2335 EDT
resulted in nothing but clouds. It was still an enjoyable time though as
I had a couple family members with me. They had never observed meteors
before, and I am sure the clouds and loss of sleep did nothing to
convince them to become nocturnal meteor observers.

The next morning, August 11/12, was more frustrating. The weather
forecasts were not very encouraging, but ClearSkyClock was showing a
couple hours of clearing skies beginning around midnight. I set up
beside my truck a couple minutes after midnight with the only clouds
visible hugging the eastern horizon. On cue, the clouds began drifting
toward the zenith, and I spent the next two hours with a "wall" of
clouds running north to south about 20 degrees to the west of my zenith.
 From there toward the western horizon it was perfectly clear! During
those two hours I saw 4 meteors travel out of the clouds toward the west
that could have been Perseids, but I couldn't be certain. Wisely, after
the two hours, I gave up, packed up and drove on back to Charleston. It
remained cloudy all the way home...

--
Mark Davis, South Carolina, USA
meteors at comcast.net