(meteorobs) Alternate radiometeor observing frequencies

Paul Goelz pgoelz at comcast.net
Mon Aug 13 09:59:02 EDT 2012

This morning I tried monitoring the carrier frequency listed for US
ATSC (digital) broadcast channel 2.  It is listed as 54.310MHz so I
tuned to 54.309MHs (USB) and found a very faint residual carrier that
faded in and out.  That would be consistent with an over the horizon
source (as opposed to something local).  So far, so good.

The residual carrier produced a tone of about 500Hz instead of the
expected 1KHz, so I re-tuned the receiver to 54.308.5MHz (to produce
a 1KHz note) and monitored the spectrum.  It did indeed seem to be
displaying meteors, as well as some horizontal squiggelies consistent
with meteor trails.

Anyone else tried this frequency?  I have no idea where the
transmitter is.... I don't think channels 2-6 are being used in this
area (or even in the US?).  I thought I read that all US broadcasting
had moved to the UHF band, vacating the low band for other uses.

Paul

Paul Goelz
pgoelz at comcast.net
Rochester Hills, MI