(meteorobs) Perseid observations from Oregon, August 11/12

Wes Stone howard048 at centurytel.net
Mon Aug 13 23:20:59 EDT 2012

After days of beautiful weather, Saturday morning dawned with thick smoke
rolling in from the Barry Point fire to my southeast. I was committed to
doing a local star party, so I stuck around close to home. The smoke
persisted throughout the day, and as night fell the sky was socked in up to
about 40 degrees in elevation. Through binoculars, Vega looked yellowish
instead of its normal bluish tinge. Turnout at the star party was sparse,
although everyone got to see some good early evening Perseids including a -5
fireball at around 10pm. Everyone went home at around 11pm, and I retreated
to my yard.

I began observing soon after midnight and found that the smoke had relented
somewhat. Skies continued to improve, although I never quite reached my
normal limiting magnitude of 6.7-6.8. The moon wasn't a big factor for
me--it was blocked by a hill and trees at moonrise and registered maybe an
0.1-magnitude drop in the center of my field later on. The moon wasn't
strongly reddened, more confirmation that the smoke had retreated.

Perseid rates were not very impressive for a leap year. I saw 140 in 3.3
hours. There were lots of bright and colorful meteors (perhaps the smoke
imparted some of the orange and yellow colors). Sporadic rates were very low
(14 in the same period), hinting that not all was right with the sky
conditions. I was fighting tiredness during the first part of the watch, and
took a nap for a bit of an hour before catching the predawn show (which was
still sporadic-poor).

I thought about going out again late Sunday evening, but wasn't feeling that
great so I didn't.

Observation Summaries (full reports were submitted to IMO):

Observer: Wesley Stone (STOWE)
Location: Chiloquin, OR (42d 35m N, 121d 52m W)
Method: Counting/Paper