(meteorobs) the entire sky, from horizon to horizon, suddenly light up with Meteors

Richard Taibi rjtaibi at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 14 00:45:23 EDT 2012

What you describe sounds like a meteor storm and the two that occurred near the 1950s, were a decade earlier and later: the Draconid/Giacobinids in October 1946 (slow meteors) and the Leonid storm of November 1966 (fast meteors).  You might check Gary Kronk's online website http://meteorshowersonline.com to explore other possible showers for the years you recall.  However, these two would have been the ones many people would have seen and made the newspapers. Rich