(meteorobs) Alternate radiometeor observing frequencies

Paul Goelz pgoelz at comcast.net
Tue Aug 14 07:11:45 EDT 2012

At 11:18 PM 8/13/2012, you wrote:
>It is possible to receive forward scatter from Meteors on the 6 meter (50
>MHz) band from as far as 300 Miles away, but with certain requirements; the
>transmitter is sufficiently powerful, and you have an adequate Antenna. A 6
>meter Antenna for forward scatter reception at the 300 mile distance is
>certainly possible but must be quite large, a 6 element Yagi, which
>translates to 3 meters wide and about 18 meters long. This antenna must be
>tilted to point it to the proper angle of incidence. If a TV transmitter is
>within about 40 miles, it may be too close. A distance greater than 50 miles
>but less than 100 miles allows for a more modest antenna pointing more
>vertical than horizontal.

Well.... my receiving antenna is quite modest... it is a 6M halo up
at about 20 feet.  The receiver is a Kenwood TS480 (transceiver).

With this setup I currently get excellent results on all three 10KHz
offsets for analog TV channel 2 video carrier.  I also get faint but
usable results on the DTV channel 2 carrier.  Not sure yet where the
digital channel 2 transmitter is, but I am certain that the analog
transmitters are more than 100 miles, and probably considerably more
than 300 miles from me.

Paul

Paul Goelz
pgoelz at comcast.net