(meteorobs) Perseids From Yosemite

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Sat Aug 18 09:30:26 EDT 2012

>>WOW, great images Mike. Wish I was there. Been there done that,  only it
was
1972, all over Yosemite, many days and nights, before you needed  a camping
pass and there were bears everywhere.<<

The bears in Yosemite aren't much of a problem any more.  The park has made
very aggressive efforts to keep them under control. Nowadays,  if you come
across a bear, it will most likely run from you. Yes you will need a  permit
to traverse and camp in the wilderness areas. And yes Rangers patrol the
trails to see if people have the necessary paperwork. But you don't need to
pack  in anywhere to view the Perseids. Where Mike went in the Glacier Pt.
area is  good enuf, but so is the Tuolumne Meadows area along Tioga Pass at an
elevation  of 9,500 feet. If you have equipment with you, its fairly easy
to drive it close  to a viewing area at Glacier Pt. or Tuolumne Meadows.
There's a good chance that  I'll be at one of these areas for next years
viewing...providing I'm not drafted  away to another function to assist my wife on
a major hike she's planning or  help my daughter move around then when her
husband will be transferred. Outside  of those two diversions, I'll probably
be there to see the show.
GeoZay