(meteorobs) Strange inactivity

Jay Salsburg jsalsburg at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 30 18:08:20 EDT 2012

Hello

Yesterday, the leading edge of Hurricane Isaac moved over my position. I
usually receive, in my Space RADAR Receiver, consistent low velocity
reflections off the upper atmosphere day or night. As the Sun set last
night, this normal background activity ceased for several hours, for the
first time in my years of observing the NAVSPASUR forward scatter. With no
way to actually know the cause of this strange quietude (dryness,
turbulence, high-velocity wind, unusual pressure differential?), I can only
guess it was the Hurricane somehow affecting the upper atmosphere at a
distance of 500 miles from the Hurricane Eye.