(meteorobs) 2012 Geminids

Norman W McLeod III nmcleod at coconet.com
Tue Dec 11 02:08:45 EST 2012

Borrowing a portion of Mark Davis' post,

 >The particulars on this shower are:

 >Active: December 4--17
 >Maximum: December 13, 23.5h UT

this time is soon after sunset on the U.S. east coast.  It fits the
leap-year pattern that I have experienced back to 1968.  The highest
Geminid leap-year rates for North America come on the night of Dec
12/13, with few Geminids brighter than magnitude 2.  I agree with the
maximum observing rate of 60/hour that Mark mentioned.  The years of
80/hour and above are behind us, 1979 to 1996 that I saw.

The next night has lower rates, but almost entirely bright Geminids, few
fainter than second magnitude.  The rate for bright Geminids in these
longitudes won't top 40/hour, and falling quickly after midnight.  By
night's end it is down to only 15/hour.

All these rates are for observers with average perception, as I have.
The high-perception folks can go above 100/hour with ease.

A radio announcement just did it again, calling for 100/hour with no
qualification.  Goes on every year.  Way overblown for most of us.

The Florida outlook is hopeless for the far south, cloudy with rain next
3 days, but toasty warm in the low 80's F. (27 C).  The bright-meteor
period for Thursday is expected to be partly cloudy.  I will watch
casually from town a little.

Norman

--
Norman W. McLeod III