(meteorobs) 2012 Geminids

Roberto Gorelli md6648 at mclink.it
Tue Dec 11 03:46:48 EST 2012

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 02:08:45 -0500
  Norman W McLeod III <nmcleod at coconet.com> wrote:
> Borrowing a portion of Mark Davis' post,
>
> >The particulars on this shower are:
>
> >Active: December 4--17
> >Maximum: December 13, 23.5h UT
>
> this time is soon after sunset on the U.S. east coast.  It fits the
>leap-year pattern that I have experienced back to 1968.  The highest
>Geminid leap-year rates for North America come on the night of Dec
>12/13, with few Geminids brighter than magnitude 2.  I agree with the
>maximum observing rate of 60/hour that Mark mentioned.  The years of
>80/hour and above are behind us, 1979 to 1996 that I saw.
>
> The next night has lower rates, but almost entirely bright Geminids,
>few fainter than second magnitude.  The rate for bright Geminids in
>these longitudes won't top 40/hour, and falling quickly after
>midnight.  By night's end it is down to only 15/hour.

You should remember too that from 1968 to 2012 the Geminids are more
numerous, with a highest peak, then you should see more meteors that
in 1968. It must remembered too that there is a mass effect with
luminous meteors (bolids) after the peak and that 2 day after the
central side of the peak the Geminids are near zero.
Best greetings.
Roberto Gorelli