(meteorobs) 2012 Geminids

Robert Lunsford lunro.imo.usa at cox.net
Tue Dec 11 15:59:02 EST 2012

Norman,

Things have changed for the Geminids since you and I first started viewing them. Back then, December 12/13 was consistently the best night with the peak falling on the 13/14th only during a year before leap year. Currently, December 13/14 is nearly always the peak with 14/15 also being very good. The shower drops way off on the 15/16 and almost disappears by 16/17.

I also have to disagree with you about the rates. People have been saying for the last 20 years that the Geminids will begin falling off any year now. Well, here it is 2012, and they are are strong as ever. This has nothing to due with my perception. If anyone makes the effort to go to dark skies on the 13/14, they have a good chance of easily surpassing 60 per hour.

Clear Skies!

Robert Lunsford