(meteorobs) Geminids from Oregon first and ongoing impressions

Wes Stone howard048 at centurytel.net
Thu Dec 13 22:57:57 EST 2012

I observed for 3.5 hours on the morning of December 13th and saw 245
Geminids and 70 other meteors under decent skies (LM generally 6.5-6.8
although there were some bothersome clouds early on). There were few bright
Geminids, with the two brightest of magnitude -3. Temperature dipped to 10
degrees F. I reported full data to IMO.

I just got in from a casual watch (December 14, 2:50-3:35 UT) with the
radiant low in the sky. I saw 22 Geminids and 2 sporadics in 45 minutes. ZHR
would be 109 for this watch, so the shower is still going strong. One
Geminid was magnitude -1, and the rest were +1 or fainter, so I didn't get
the impression of bright post-peak Geminids. If the weather and the shower
can hold out for a few more hours, it could be another interesting night.

Wes Stone
Chiloquin, OR

--
So he slept on a mountain.