(meteorobs) Geminids in Iowa

pmartsching at mchsi.com pmartsching at mchsi.com
Fri Dec 14 07:14:54 EST 2012

I just got back from a nearly all night Geminid watch.  I was afraid I might not get to see much with conflicting weather predictions, and lots of cirrus at sunset.  I went out at 7 pm and waited for an hour and a half till the LM got as "good" as 3.5 before beginning the first hour.  I was thinking that conditions might not improve, so I'd best  begin observing, just in case.  There was more or less cirrus the entire night, but not much during the best hour and hardly any the last hour.  It will take me some time to go thru my yellow tablet and make a summary report.  The Geminid rates seemed quite high from midnight to 01:00 am CST (06:00-07:00 UT).  I saw more Geminid trains than usual.  My two best Geminids were -10 and -7.  Now I have seen one of the Geminid fireballs that people who run cameras all night find.

Will send summary in a couple days.

Paul Martsching