(meteorobs) Geminids Dec 13/14 from North Stafford, Virginia in U SA

suejam1 at juno.com suejam1 at juno.com
Fri Dec 14 11:01:39 EST 2012

Nice quick report Kim!    It was my desire to observe the Geminids from WED evening until SAT Morning (three different observing sessions).  Unfortunately, on WED evening/Thursday morning it was cloudy here in Stafford, Virginia.  Sounds like WED/Thurs was impressive for the Geminids! However, I did get out to observe for three hours last night (DEC 13/14) and enjoyed a nice display of the Geminids & the other meteor showers going.  The results are as follows:     Began observing at 2312 EST and observed until 0212 EST on the backyard deck of our North Stafford, Virginia Home (LM 6.0).  In that span of time I observed 111 meteors, with the most fascinating ones being numbers 101, 102 & 103 (around 0157 EST) as they were a simultaneous group that appeared within a two second period of time!  Most of the Geminids seen were about 2nd or 3rd magnitude, with at least one fireball (-3 or brighter) and two at the brightness of Jupiter & Sirius.  There were many at Zero or 1st magnitude.  Looking forward to viewing again tonight for a few hours, before the clouds roll in, sometime well after midnight, Lord-willing!  Clear skies and many meteors to all!! In Astronomical Affinity - Felix