(meteorobs) Monitoring solution for radio meteor observers in North America

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Wed Dec 19 11:23:47 EST 2012

Status of US radio meteor monitoring:

For anyone in North America there is a good probability of doing
research-grade radio meteor observations using the SCAN and SNOTEL
meteor burst communication network.

Transmit frequency is : 40.67 MHz CW     This is an excellent reflective
frequency for meteors. The transmitters are on full time and are
powerful at 1200 kW.

I am hearing many meteors at this moment as I write so I know the system
is active and working well.

I am not able to find out where master transmitters are in the eastern
US but here is a link to a map of SCAN return station sites and I see
there are stations also in Puerto Rico.  The return sites are much less
powerful and the return frequency is : 41.61 MHz CW.
http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/scan/

The western US transmitters are around Ogden, Utah I think.

Good luck if you try this and please let us know any results.

Also, the SCAN meteor reflections make a buzz sound rather than a ping.
But larger fireballs make a buzzing/ringing sound, kind of like a
pinball machine at full tilt.

Thomas Ashcraft -  Heliotown  -   New Mexico