(meteorobs) receiving strong frequent RADAR returns

Paul Goelz pgoelz at comcast.net
Sat Dec 29 23:40:06 EST 2012

At 02:43 PM 12/29/2012, you wrote:
> > Not seeing that frequency, but I am seeing/hearing occasional fairly long
> > and strong returns here in Detroit, on 55.259MHz (USB).
> > Paul
>
>  Not hearing anything up here. Are you using a filter at all Paul to get
>rid of background interference?
>
>This is what I use:
>
>Listening Frequency: 67.24 MHz
>Receiver: Icom R-10
>Antenna : dipole
>Antenna Direction: Horizontally polarized with lobes in E-W plane,
>         elev 0 deg
>Filter  : high-Q (Q at least 300) bandpass filter between antenna &
>           receiver.
>Listening Mode: CW
>
>  But tuning to the 55.259 I hear nothing at all just static. IF I
>disconnect the filter and just hook antenna to radio get static no pings
>nothing.

No filter.  Just either a Kenwood TS480 or an SDR setup with a $20
dongle for a receiver.  I still have no idea where the TV stations
are that I hear on channel 2a and 2c.  I used to hear one on 2b but
it is gone and all I hear there now is a steady carrier from local
cable leakage.

On 55.239 I get a fairly strong residual carrier with strong airplane
tracks.  On 55.259 I get a faint carrier (sometimes nearly
undetectable) and fainter airplane tracks, but decent meteor returns.

My antenna is a 6 meter ham halo (horizontal polarization) at about
16 feet AGL.

Paul

Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, Michigan USA