(meteorobs) DFW event

Marc D. Fries fries at psi.edu
Thu Feb 2 14:36:54 EST 2012

Howdy all

   I've been following and working on this with weather radar, and I figured I should quit lurking and say something.  I've examined all the nearby radars and I'm somewhat surprised and disappointed to say that I don't see anything convincing. I'm not done looking, but by all indications from the fireball this one should have been obvious.
   The Shreveport radar was in a higher-res mode that has served us well in the past.  There is a KSHV radar return near Edgewood that I find interesting, but it only appears in a single sweep. There's also a series of returns near Allen on the Fort Worth NEXRAD that interest me. They appear at the right time and populate a series of elevation scans, but they appear to linger too long - a full half-hour - without moving.  They act more like a ground reflection or an interference source than meteorites.
   One thing to look forward to - the DFW-area airports will release their high-resolution TDWR radar data in 48 hours or so. That will give us more information to work with.
   It appears that the fireball first appeared -between- the Hawley and Coleman allsky cameras. It appears south of image center in Hawley and north of image center in Coleman. It looks to me that it generally followed I-20 and generated a swath of sonic booms in the eastern end of the DFW metroplex. That tells me that any fall site is either in that area or just to the east of that area, which is where I've been looking.
   Thoughts?

Cheers,
Marc Fries