(meteorobs) DFW event

Pat pat_branch at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 2 15:31:13 EST 2012

I would love the coordinates and altitude of the Edgewood hit!!!
Based purely on the sonic footprint and the approach angle from the police dash cam. I put it about 40-60 miles due east of Ennis. But I think it is a little farther east and maybe a little south of that.
Some of that is likely because there are so many more people in the Dallas area to hear it.
Based on many "double boom" reports and at least one knowledgeable man listening for the boom who heard about 4 mini booms just after the main. I estimate it was breaking apart at about 120-130,000 feet. There were at least two main pieces (likely 4-5) between 30 and 80 feet from each other at that time. So it is likely a fragile bolide. Based on that it should not have made it past the Tyler/Jacksonville line. But there are many reports east of that and even one from Keachi LA. Surprising very little from Henderson and Carthage, so I am guessing it went dark long before that. People in the fall zone would not likely hear it. It would also be less noticable coming at them and looking like it would pass over them, but burn out west of them. Someone from Beckville captured on their house security camera, which I am guessing was facing west. I sent them an email asking for details of the angles. KETX in Tyler has a doppler radar...maybe we can get more from it.