(meteorobs) Sonic Reports?

Pat pat_branch at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 3 08:45:12 EST 2012

In general the method of using sound reports requires a lot of reports over a wide area. But the width of the path is about 1000 feet for every mile of ground footprint. So the sonic boom footprint should look like a trapazoid with the big end pointed to the from direction and the little end pointed to the end point.
A sonic boom is generally created above 100,000 feet but less than 200,000 and should stop when the object becomes subsonic somewhere around 50-60,000 feet. A low entry angle results in a long path a sharp angle results in a small trapazoid. So in the DFW area where the sonic reports start the path is about 100 miles wide and they end around Edgewood at 10-15 miles. This agrees nicely with a 22.5 degree entry angle which closely matches the police cam video. So I put the endpoint around Tyler. Recognizing I take some liberties by ignoring the single reports from 100's of miles away and the fact that the low populated area south of Edgewood would have little to no reports. Unfortunately this method is not accurate enough to go looking, but helps to narrow down the area of dark flight and what weather radars to look at.