(meteorobs) 2012/02/01 TX Fireball

Esko Lyytinen esko.lyytinen at jippii.fi
Thu Feb 9 06:48:35 EST 2012

Hi,

I have also have made the modeling and fit (from almost he beginning
after the fall) of this from quite well calibrated cameras of OKC,
Hawley and Coleman, kindly supplied to me by James Bauchamp and Kevin
Palivec in a more original form that found in the net. I also have in
this the frame directions that Bill Cooke earlier gave in meteorobs.
Thanks to Bill, James and Kevin ! I also had some email change of
thoughts and early solution data on this with Bill, as Bill also tells.

I started this because I earlied had calibrated the OKC camera, that now
however needed some check and "rotation" by means of stars, now only a
few seemed to be needed. (More can be measured and may to some degrees
improve the directions. And especially low elevation reference would be
needed.)
The first purpose was mainly to get to know for sure, if this is of
meteoric or satellite origing.
Getting a resonable solution originally from OKC camera and Bill's data,
I continued by calibrating the Hawley camera from 16 stars and the
Coleman camera from 13 stars.
The direction data from Bill, is now in principle included in the
solution, but with the given weigh practically not affecting in this.
But these are seen to to be very well consistent with the solution, even
better than one might expet. The general trend in these is sen to be
within about 0.1 degree. ( The mutual "scatter" is bigger than this.) I
don't even know if the amospheric refraction has been "removed", but as
given (not corrected by me for the refraction) these do have the very
excellent fit to the entry track fitting. Maybe this good fit, is good
luck in part.

My ground track is very close to that of Bill's !
In the beginning the ground track differs by about 1.5 km and in the end
by only about half a kilometer (from that given in meteorobs, seen below
for the solution  ".. all other solutions put ..").
The beginning height is the same to a kilometer (at 92 km), but I have
the end clearly more low, at 30 km.

I get it arriving from az. direction 255.6 with the slope of 12.2
degrees. The reference meridian and horizon to these values is 32.50 N,
97.00 W.
In the solution, the track is not a straight line, but the Earth gravity
is put to affect in it during the first 11.3 second of flight. The
reason not to have put this in the whole flight is that with strong
deceleration (which would also in part decelerate the Earth "already
gained" gravity effect, which is not taken into account properly in the
program, even though normal deceleration is (more or less well) ) the
gravity effect would easily get overcorrected in the end.

 From the deceleration I get the end mass (assuming normal chondrite
density) of about 30 kg.
With what I think as a reasonable ablation behaviour, I get the
beginning mass of around 100 kg (and whole flight modeled with these).
This is well within the values by Bill Cooke, from bightness and light
efficiency.
This mass-estimation from deceleration is however strongly dependent on
the true height of the end path and I am still hoping for new data to
better calibrate the camera ( especially the OKC camera) at the relevant
quite low altitude angles. And also the mass estimatoin is affected of
where itfrag,ented and how much. If it fregmented after ( or arond)
disappearing from the OKC camera, the value would in principle be the
total mass. But if fragmented well before this, tha mass value would
(more or less) refer to the biggest mass or masses. For the end path
deceleration derivation, the OKC data is the most relevant, as fitted
with the others also.

I have the beginning velocity a little more than 16 km/s.

Regards,
Esko