(meteorobs) OT - More Panther talk and caution advice...

James Beauchamp falcon99 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 9 13:02:41 EST 2012

OK, I'll throw mine in here....

I've been backpacking and camping most of my adult life, mostly in Oklahoma and Texas areas.  Only twice have I caught even a glimpse of something feline scurrying away, and it was most likely a bobcat.  We once saw the butt of a Brown Bear in Northern New Mexico as it was running away from us.

Even if they (Panthers and Mountain Lions) were common in this part of the country, you would be extremely lucky to see one.  They stay away from human kind.  If you see one, it is a very lucky moment.

I recommend concentrating on the things that are most likely to kill you.

You're chances of being attacked by wild dogs, boars, and humans is magnitudes more than the urban legend kitty cats.

Be EXTREMELY careful trodding the back areas of large public owned lands, or large ranches in Northern Texas and Southern Oklahoma.  Drug runners and squatters growing Mary Jane don't take kindly to outsiders.  With the infiltration of Zetas and MS-13 operatives these past ten years, it is even more dangerous.  They will kill you and dispose of your remains without a second thought.  Thier chances of getting away with it are about 95% in the present political climate, and they know it.

It's just a rock.  Don't be stupid and end up worm food on terms other than your own.

Just posting because I care...  :)