(meteorobs) Two low and slow fireballs over New Mexico last evening...

Bill Cooke cookewj at comcast.net
Sat Feb 11 10:50:30 EST 2012

There were 2 low and slow events over new Mexico last evening; the 1st, at 19:41:35 local time, hit the atmosphere at a speed of just under 17 km/s and made it down to 50 km altitude. The ASGARD software calculated a mass of about 7.5 grams for this object. There is some slight indication of deceleration at the end of the path.

The second event, at 21:12:46 local time, is the more interesting - hitting the atmosphere at 15.4 km/s, it shows significant deceleration before we lost track at 32.5 km altitude. ASGARD gave a mass for it in the vicinity of 100 grams, but this is an underestimate due to the cameras being saturated. I feel fairly confident it was in the kg mass range.

As always, details are available on the Fireballs website (http://fireballs.ndc.nasa.gov). Click on the 20120211 link; the above meteors are the 1st two in the list.

Shaping up to be a busy February!

Regards,
Bill Cooke