(meteorobs) Two low and slow fireballs over New Mexico last evening...

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Sat Feb 11 12:18:57 EST 2012

On 2/11/12 8:50 AM, Bill Cooke wrote:
> There were 2 low and slow events over new Mexico last evening;
> The second event, at 21:12:46 local time, is the more interesting -
> hitting the atmosphere at 15.4 km/s, it shows significant deceleration
> before we lost track at 32.5 km altitude. ASGARD gave a mass for it in
> the vicinity of 100 grams, but this is an underestimate due to the
> cameras being saturated. I feel fairly confident it was in the kg mass
> range.

Hi Bill,
I captured the 21:12:46 am MST fireball at the very southern edge of the
field of view. Not much use for location data.
http://www.heliotown.com/FBns20120211_041246UT_Ashcraft.mp4

Interestingly, although this particular fireball occurred in the "sweet
spot" of my forward scatter radio range there was hardly any received
scatter reflection. Very often with low slow and larger fireballs there
is only minimal radio reflection.

Thomas Ashcraft in north central New Mexico
PS : There was a nice fireball up this way this morning and I posted a
movie here with its strong radio head echo.
http://www.heliotown.com/FBs20120211_113914utHE_Ashcraft.mp4