(meteorobs) [meteorite-list] GA SC Bolide seems have produced alarge rock

metpaper at Safe-mail.net metpaper at Safe-mail.net
Wed Feb 15 02:28:20 EST 2012

-------- Original Message --------
From: Jake S <jakeschaeferml at gmail.com>

> I think there is a chance there could be meteorites from this event. I
> think it is highly misleading to say it "produced a large meteorite"
> when nothing has been found yet...

It's where pseudoscience meets journalism-as-it-practiced nowadays.

You'll find nasa releases with headline type subject headings that are often not reflected upon at all by the actual announce email's contents.

It's very widespead.

I  suppose one worry is that if enough cries about wolves are made, one day a real wolf will be missed because everyone is thinking "yeah, right, we've heard it all before".

Cheers

John