(meteorobs) Quad max and SNAFU in southern Maryland

Richard Taibi rjtaibi at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 4 10:21:06 EST 2012

I almost used a subject line of 'AAUUGHH!! from southern Maryland.'  I was lucky to have clear skies, my usual +5, and I was careful every once in a while to check that the tape recorder's mike cord was attached correctly...But, I didn't check to see if the Pause button was depressed.  Because of that, I have only 39 minutes recorded of a Teff of 2.00 hours, and I'm mildly depressed!  It's been a long time since I goofed like that, honest. Quad max here, at 837-1037 UT, seemed to be slow, like it had already passed, or was about to arrive.  I can't complain about the shower members I saw, many were bright, especially since I saw 3 fireballs.  (The third one was not recorded and does not appear below.)  And the rate of 9 Quads during 39 minutes doesn't seem too shabby either.  But, as I recall it, it seemed slow-especially the second unrecorded hour.  Below is a quick report before I send my result off to the IMO. January 4, 2012, 837-916 UT (recorded period)Bel Alton, MD, USA; 76d 59m W longitude, 38d 28m N latitude Teff=0.65, F=1.00, Lm=5.0, Field center was near Cor Caroli. QUA: Total of 9: -4,-3, -1, +1 (2), +2 (2), +3, +5 SPO: Total of 3: +2, +3, +4