(meteorobs) Quadrantids from South Carolina

meteors at comcast.net meteors at comcast.net
Wed Jan 4 15:47:16 EST 2012

With clear skies here along coastal South Carolina, and a prediction for a possible peak along the east coast, I was really excited about watching the Quadrantids this year. Unfortunately, I didn’t record that many meteors during the morning, although activity was rather steady throughout.

It was cold, about 18-20 degrees, and I had to work today, so I planned only a two hour session. I began observing at 0254 local time and quit at about 0500. In a little less that that 2 hours Teff, I recorded 19 Quadrantids and 8 sporadics. I was facing north, which I usually don’t do as there is about 15% of the sky blocked when facing that direction. Also, my LM was not very good this morning (+5.0). Both of these factors contributed to me seeing fewer meteors.

All in all it was an enjoyable watch though!

Mark Davis
meteors at comcast.net
namn at namnmeteors.org

North American Meteor Network