(meteorobs) Quadrantids from Oregon

Wes Stone howard048 at centurytel.net
Thu Jan 5 01:29:38 EST 2012

Tuesday evening was pretty cloudy, and I didn't have very high hopes for
Wednesday morning Quadrantids, but I set my alarm just in case. I woke up to
clear skies with a slight haze around the horizon. When I looked out my
window, I saw a bright Quad within a few seconds, so I prepared to go out.

I began my watch at 1105 UT (3:05am PST). Skies were a little bit hazy with
some residual moonlight scattering but a reasonable limiting magnitude of
6.4. Quadrantids were active but a bit slow to start out, averaging 7 per
15-minute interval. The skies got nice and clear and the limiting magnitude
peaked at 6.9, but almost immediately some clouds and haze started moving in
from the west. I battled various degrees of obscuration and limiting
magnitudes that dropped as low as 6.1 in the clear areas. The Quadrantids
kept coming at about the same rate, however.

By 1230 UT, the clouds had moved on leaving a bit of haze that also
eventually dissipated. Quadrantid rates picked up to about 1 per minute and
remained there for the rest of the watch. The limiting magnitude climbed
back up to 6.8 at best. My best interval was 11 Quadrantids in 8 minutes
between 1327 and 1335 UT. I carried on observing until 1405 UT.

All in all, I saw 124 Quadrantids, 2 Anthelions, and 32 sporadics in 2.9
hours of observing time. The brightest Quadrantids were a -4 and a -3, and
there were 5 Quads of magnitude -2. Most of the Quadrantids were white or
colorless, but a couple of the bright ones were orange, one yellow, and one
blue.

A good way to start out what looks to be a promising year for meteor shower
observing!

Wes Stone
Chiloquin, OR
http://skytour.homestead.com/met2012.html